The time has come.....

Man I hate to hear that Steve, things happen for a reason and good things will come back to you. Keep you head held high and hope whatever the problem is it all works out okay.

jeep4me

I'm working on keeping at least one bike to ride. If things change in the next week or two maybe I'll keep two.
Things around me have gotten very complicated, and I had to re- evaluate my priorities. My son had Asbergers Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism. He's 15 and is what I see as a lost soul. It breaks my heart to see him like this. Too much of my time, and his, has been lost due in part to my hobbies. That's going to change.

This hobby will still be around when I'm ready to get back into it. But right now, I have more important things to attend to.

I'm hoping by Sunday I'll have things ready to start posting in the classifieds.

Thanks again guys, for everything!

Jeep
My heart goes out to you and your son!!
Life is way to short and mini bikes will be here long after were gone..
Good luck with the road that lays ahead..
You'll be in our thoughts and prayers..

buckeye

I had a ton of respect for you already.
Now that has increased. Your actions of putting your family first is exactly the kind of thing that makes for happy endings. That is the way to stand up for what is right. Props to you Steve. Very honorable.:bowdown:

Steve,
Have you ever watched the TV show Parenthood? It is on Tuesday nights at like 10, it is about a family that is mother and father, their kids and then there grandkids. One of the grand kids has Asbergers Syndrome and it shows some of the things that they have had to deal with when they found out that he had it, things that they have had to over come along the way and how they have worked with him as he has grown that have made things much better for the child, his parents and his sister. The show is really good but shows you a lot about Asbergers that most people never even knew. Season 3 has just started and you can buy Seasons 1 & 2 on dvd now. Well worth the family watch, the show has hit close to home a few times for us and our blended family.

Sorry to hear that your son has Asbergers Syndrome and know that if you just want to talk to get things off your chest just send me a PM and I will give you my number. Some times just talking to somebody outside the situation is a great help and stress relief, even if I can't do anything about it or give you advice I would be more than willing to listen.

Hang in there and things will get better, know that. You are doing what you see is best for you and your family and I respect you for that, you are a good man and a good father for doing so!!! Put your faith and trust in God and know that He will get you through these tough times ahead.

I'm sure there have been plenty of times in the past where you "stepped up" to buy a mini bike or to have something you really wanted....now you're "stepping up" for real.

Good luck Jeep.

Im glad you are getting your priorities straight. God be with you and your family. But Im curious, if you have known of your sons condition why have you been buying so many minibikes like they were more important? Seems to me this shouldve have happened sooner. I mean no offense.

I'm working on keeping at least one bike to ride. If things change in the next week or two maybe I'll keep two.
Things around me have gotten very complicated, and I had to re- evaluate my priorities. My son had Asbergers Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism. He's 15 and is what I see as a lost soul. It breaks my heart to see him like this. Too much of my time, and his, has been lost due in part to my hobbies. That's going to change.

This hobby will still be around when I'm ready to get back into it. But right now, I have more important things to attend to.

I'm hoping by Sunday I'll have things ready to start posting in the classifieds.

Jeep,

I know what it is like, my oldest son Brendon was diagnosed with Autism at age 3, he as well was down graded to Asbergers. I still believe it was his 2 year old shots that caused it. They put Mercury in them things, They said that it was too low a dose to hurt kids, but I think they lied. He is also 15, and has come along way. He has been helped a lot buy music, and has learned to play 4 instriments, and is in his high school band. For the most part now days he is a normal kid, but has no commen sense. I try to teach him how life is going to be for him when he gets older, and he just always acusses me of coming down on him and not understanding him becouse we have nothing in common. I try to include him in all aspecs of my life, but its hard to teach him stuff when he cant even find somthing that is right in front of him, and I mean you can describe it and everything, but he will pickup something totally off the wall and hand it to you. I guess all I can say is just try to love him as much as you can and be patient with him.

PS, if you want PM me if you need to vent or just talk about it with somebody that is in the same boat.

Last edited:

jeep4me

Im glad you are getting your priorities straight. God be with you and your family. But Im curious, if you have known of your sons condition why have you been buying so many minibikes like they were more important? Seems to me this shouldve have happened sooner. I mean no offense.
No offense taken:thumbsup:

Believe me, I've asked my self that same question hundreds of times. I have very similar behavioral patterns as my son, in fact that's where they say most kids with Asbergers get it from, their fathers. I have hoarding and obsessive tendensies. Most of which I got from my dad, I think.

Every "hobby" I have ever gotten into I go way overboard, first it was aquariums, then (and I hate to mention this) the Beanie Baby craze, then guns, pain meds (yes, for a short stint I was a pill popper), small engines and now minibikes. All of which I have spent countless thousands of dollars on. I've lied to the people I love and have hidden more personal feelings then anyone will ever know. I think I do these things to hide from reality, confrontation and change. When I get stressed, I go work on a minibike or for that matter I go buy one. That being said, I've been VERY stressed out lately.

I can for the first time in my life see my son following in my foot steps, looking for something to obsess over. He's already had his first encounter of some of these tendensies....video games. He would play his video games until his eyes bleed if we let him. It has interupted his school work, disrupted his social interactions with his friends...etc.

I need to change the way I deal with stress, redirect my obssesive behaviors. I may not be able to make them go away, but I can use them to my advantage, and help my son...help my family.....help myself....

My two daughters are as typical as they come, one is older then my son, one is younger. Both are independent, controlled ..."normal" kids. Last week my son asked me.."why cant I be like my sisters, why cant I be normal"....that was the slap in the face that brought me to this point. My wife has dealt with the brunt of my sons therapy, school and emotional needs. I hide in the garage. Bury myself in minibikes, in anything other then reality....that's going to change.

I appreciate everyones well wishes, and I have to say it means alot to me and my family. :thumbsup:

I need to change the way I deal with stress, redirect my obssesive behaviors. I may not be able to make them go away, but I can use them to my advantage, and help my son...help my family.....help myself....:thumbsup:
Jeep
For me this says it all!!
Good luck with your struggle..:thumbsup:

I don't know you well, but I have always enjoyed your posts and your builds. As much as I love this hobby, you are dead right to put your son first.

If it is any consolation, I worked in scouting as a volunteer for over 15 years, I have worked with lots of young men who were very much so "lost souls" in their teenage years, and some had hurdles to jump every bit as big as Asbergers (I worked with a boy with Asbergers too), some are still struggling through life, but the majority of them, if steered right, will correct their path. One of the boys I struggled with years ago just got accepted into dental school, another is a CPA.
Best of luck!

Thanks for your understanding and reply Jeep. I totally understand the need for stress relief. I was diagnosed with brain cancer 6yrs ago. I just had my baby boy and I wanted to just forget about the pain and life and I got sucked into online games(CoD, Battlefild,Ect...), even the free section on CL:shrug:. But I realized I wasnt just hurting myself by ignoring the world and horrible truth that Im dieing. Im also hurting my kids and wife. When I learned of minibikes I got bit by the bug and started spending all my money and time on them. But I remember what I learned before and fortunatly im poor so it was easy to stop buying bikes.
I imagine your sons illness is harder to bear then if it were your own. I can except that I'm dieing, I dont know if I could the other way around.You will find the right thing to do IF you want to do the right thing. Good luck and God Bless.:scooter: