TOM THUMB by MANCHESTER

Jeep2003 has your answer Karen, you take a block of steel and bore a hole the same size as your tubing diameter in the exact center then split the block at the hole so you end up with two identical blocks and then you use em with a press to smash the tube. Sounds easy but it's not, you have to guide the two pieces together with the tube centered while pressing. Ask Jeep, he'll go over it with ya I bet. A dedicated punch press that does it and punches the hole is ideal, I've considered buying dies but they are high rent and I'd maybe ever use em a few times. I have pondered buying a pocket rocket bike and using the components to build myself a Tom Thumb, I would likely use square tubing and build a mini Hound Dog. Gotta get the 7 project minis built or sold first, I'll likely buy even more and never got to it but it's nice to dream. For now I'll watch your build, anxious to see what engine you use. I know a guy who has a bunch of O&R powered drills and other small gas powered tools with O&R engines but shudders when I talk of robbing one off a drill or auger to use for a minibike. There are some high rent Fuji hobby engines out there in 24cc to an 86cc twin, Phil's Hobby Shop sells em.:thumbsup:

Thanks Ace. Everybody just told me to put the tubes in a vice and squeeze them. I know that is not going to work without some kind of form. I'll pm Jeep tomorrow. As far as a engine goes, I will be looking for a O & R if anybody has one. "Hint" "Hint" "Hint" :thumbsup:

Your doing a great job!! and I admire your drive you hit a project and get after it till your done we could all lern some from you :thumbsup: it must be a postal thing :laugh:

Looking Really Great !! there is nothing quite like the satisfaction on fabricating your own
frame.
Anybody can buy a bike but it takes skill and hard work to build your own
Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks Ace. Everybody just told me to put the tubes in a vice and squeeze them. I know that is not going to work without some kind of form. I'll pm Jeep tomorrow. As far as a engine goes, I will be looking for a O & R if anybody has one. "Hint" "Hint" "Hint" :thumbsup:
Robin made little engines much like O&R's and they pop up every now and again, I'd start looking around but don't get in a hurry and buy something you cannot use for whatever reason. Insist on a great running unit unless you know a two stroke guru.

Actually, I have been looking for a engine for awhile:laugh::laugh: Maybe I'll put a ad in the parts wanted. My brother has this old chainsaw I'm gonna check out.:thumbsup:

This is what scooterboy came up with ..
In my opinion this looks way better then having them squared off..
But thats just my opinion

Last edited:
Karen, I had a bunch of O&R engines when I built my Tom Thumb bike. They do not have enough power to push the bike to 15mph. The other problem is that you have to find one with the correct output shaft for the clutch and it seems like the ideal output shaft is hard to find. I ended up using an Italian Blata engine. It puts out 3.3HP at 11,000RPMs and pushes my bike about 30MPH. I looked at a lot of engines and the biggest problem was that they were too tall to fit in the frame. :doah:

Good God that IS small. This is the only thing I can think of that might fit:
.....Max Torque clutch welded to the cage shaft. No fuel tank required. Mount is included....Spooker

I hate to say it but just Google "pocket bike engines". Start asking sellers questions about dimensions, carbs, pipes, and parts availability. I looked a long time for something that was short enough to fit in my frame. A new high quality european engine with carb and pipe is probably going to be over $800 and a Chinese clone with carb and pipe should be under $200. But, there are plenty of good european engines on ebay for decent prices. Keep in mind that a decent 49cc engine will easily put out 3+HP. :scooter: