Vintage Class MSPTEX Taco 22

MSPTREX

Ya the debate is it worth it to have the exact color or not. Original color which I have the code for is just a single stage automotive paint. I have found a couple powders super close to the original color but not an exact match. In my experience powder coat will withstand getting bumped or scratched better then a single stage paint.

The other option is to buy a quart of paint, paint a sample piece, then send it to a powder place to be matched. Problem with that is costing almost $200 before you even buy the custom powder. So like I said still unsure on which route to go.

Last edited:
Ya the debate is it worth it to have the exact color or not. Original color which I have the code for is just a single stage automotive paint. I have found a couple powders super close to the original color but not an exact match. In my experience powder coat will withstand getting bumped or scratched better then a single stage paint.

The other option is to buy a quart of paint, paint a sample piece, then send it to a powder place to be matched. Problem with that is costing almost $200 before you even buy the custom powder. So like I said still unsure on which route to go.
99% of people don't know what the original color looks like anyways. [emoji23] your definitely doing this build the right way. Great work

Are you referring to the Lynn Wineland purple? Foose had a sample of the actual paint. I've posted the resultant blend here, and Karterman posted the CA low VOC version. I painted a Taco 99 with it. They never look the same in photos. Purple in natural light, blue in photos. (This is urethane of course, and Wineland/Taco used lacquer.)

If you show a knowledgeable powder coater that formula, he will be able to adapt it, specifically the pearls. Plenty of misc. purples around, but you can easily see the difference in hue when you see them in person, and like Pat said, most folks can't tell- hell, most folks think it's a Rupp in the first place.

MSPTREX

Are you referring to the Lynn Wineland purple? Foose had a sample of the actual paint. I've posted the resultant blend here, and Karterman posted the CA low VOC version. I painted a Taco 99 with it. They never look the same in photos. Purple in natural light, blue in photos. (This is urethane of course, and Wineland/Taco used lacquer.)

If you show a knowledgeable powder coater that formula, he will be able to adapt it, specifically the pearls. Plenty of misc. purples around, but you can easily see the difference in hue when you see them in person, and like Pat said, most folks can't tell- hell, most folks think it's a Rupp in the first place.
Yes that is the paint code I have. Since the thread is older I can't see some of the pictures. Is the CA Boc or Non CA a closer match? I am sort of leaning with Mr.Pat that most won't know if whatever purple I use is the correct one. Taco Joe uses a Candy Purple powder but it doesn't look anything like the original color in my opinion.

If the paint codes that where posted in the thread you mentioned are not really close then having it mixed and matched into a powder doesn't really do me much good. I just don't want to make the wrong mistake and regret it. I have someone who can paint it or powder coat so not a big deal which way I go, just want it to be close as possible.

Here is original paint... or is it close to original color...[emoji4] who knows, could be the led lighting picking up the blues and purples differently.

Yes that is the paint code I have. Since the thread is older I can't see some of the pictures. Is the CA Boc or Non CA a closer match? I am sort of leaning with Mr.Pat that most won't know if whatever purple I use is the correct one. Taco Joe uses a Candy Purple powder but it doesn't look anything like the original color in my opinion.
The CA and non CA colors are the same. It's just the different components for comply with VOC requirements in CA. And yes, that Candy Purple Powder does not look right to me either.

If the paint codes that where posted in the thread you mentioned are not really close then having it mixed and matched into a powder doesn't really do me much good. I just don't want to make the wrong mistake and regret it. I have someone who can paint it or powder coat so not a big deal which way I go, just want it to be close as possible.
That was the point of my commenting in your build thread; the colors DO resemble the original color at least according to those who compared original painted machines to it, including the blue to purple flip flop.

And like I said, if you are using the correct hue, you cant take a photo of it, because it comes out different. Look at Pat's bike. It's blue in the photo.

Here is my 99 with the paint code I posted, photos taken on the same day, one in the sun, one in the garage under fluorescents.

MSPTREX

Thanks Dave. Looks very close. I think you helped make up my mind! Appreciate it a ton! Now hopefully one of my local paint suppliers can get me some mixed!

MSPTREX

Didn't get much done this weekend besides laid out parts I already had and one I purchased for the motor rebuild. Wanted to make sure I did not forget anything. Hopefully this week I can get motor blasted and possibly my forks will be in the mail back to me this week as well so I can start on the frame.

Attachments

Didn't get much done this weekend besides laid out parts I already had and one I purchased for the motor rebuild. Wanted to make sure I did not forget anything. Hopefully this week I can get motor blasted and possibly my forks will be in the mail back to me this week as well so I can start on the frame.
Nice pile o parts.

Looking good! From experience don’t leave burnished rims outside in the salt air. They go to crap pretty quickly here in the SF peninsula. Also I believe the sprocket and brake were originally black but I went the same route as you on my 44 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSPTREX

Looking good! From experience don’t leave burnished rims outside in the salt air. They go to crap pretty quickly here in the SF peninsula. Also I believe the sprocket and brake were originally black but I went the same route as you on my 44 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, ya I'm still up in the air on coating the sprocket black to keep it from rusting since the wheel spacers will be black as well. Luckily I live in the Midwest so no salt in the air here, but lots of humidity in the spring/summer.

MSPTREX

Shout out to Studz Hardware in Motor City Michigan. They had a period correct 80202 cover I was looking for. It is not the exact year of my bike but very close and the pull start is in the right orientation. Also ordered some NOS double headed Indian carlisle tires from another member yesterday. Excited to get those in the mail and get them mounted.

Attachments

. My 44 is Purple Galaxy Powder. The 22 is Plum Crazy paint. The original paint I’ve seen on my frames have that blueish Purple Color.The colors change under different lighting. Either way your builds gonna look Cool!

MSPTREX

Thanks Joe. Your taco's look very nice! I just went to the paint supply store today actually. They can mix the code that Dave posted about earlier in a single or dual stage. Obviously the dual stage will last longer and can be wet sanded/buffed to a nice finish but is also twice the price. Will talk with the guy painting for me and see which route he would rather go.