Vintage Class MSPTEX Taco 22

MSPTREX

Well the painter decided he wants me to buy a dual stage paint set up. He said if he happens to get a run in the paint it will make it much easier to fix it and can buff to my desired finish. I will buy paint and supplies sometime soon.

Talked with Rafa at Gt's Hobbies and he is just settling into his new shop and has been really busy getting everything ironed out which is understandable. He said he will get my re-pop forks knocked out this coming week and sent out to me with the originals next week.

Also finally got some time to make it over to a friend's to use his blast cabinet. Most of the motor parts are blasted except the motor itself. Motor has a ton of oil, dirt, and grim in the cooling fins and other hard to reach parts that I need to get cleaned. I don't want to contaminate my friends sand and don't want sand sticking to places it shouldn't. The motor is currently soaking in his parts washer awaiting me to come scrub on it some more tonight.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Got a few things done the last couple days. Recieved my NOS double headed indians from member diggers. They just need cleaned up and will look great after mounted on the burnished wheels! I also decided to get sprocket coated black to keep it from rusting, so got it dropped off yesterday.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner since I've been wanting one and wanted to get the carb cleaned for the briggs. First run through the USC I only used dawn dish soap and water but was amazed at how well it worked. Next run I used water and simple green to get anything the dawn couldn't get it. Forgot to get before pictures but happy with how it turned out. I got all the water out of it and installed a rebuild in the carb as well.

While waiting for the USC to clean the carb I set out parts I've been collecting for the build. Forgot to set a few things out for the picture like wheel bearings, motor mount bolts, new wheel hardware, and steel tube for missing tank mount but most is in the pictures.

Also finally got the motor clean enough after 4 days soaking in parts washer to get it blasted and ready for paint/rebuild. Sadly I do not have any days off work for awhile and need to find a warm place to get motor painted so that will get done eventually.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Been awhile since my last update. Work hasn't gave me a bunch of time to work on the bike but some small things have happened.

Picked up paint a couple days ago. Was less then $100 for a quart of 2 stage paint with the reducer. I already have some clear so didn't need to get any. Should have a bunch left over but a friend wants what's left for his taco bikes.

One night I attempted to clean up the tires and get the wheels assembled since I recieved the sprocket from getting coated black so it would not rust. I can NOT seem to get this white residue off these old carlisle tires. I have tried dawn dish soap and tire cleaner but stuff just doesn't want to come off. Any ideas? Once I get wheels assembled I can mock up rear of bike to make sure I bought the correct length wheel spacers.

I finally drug the frame out of the garage and test fit Karen's seat she made me over a month ago. It fits perfectly just as I thought it would. Not to mention it looks amazing! Will really help set off the bike when I finish it.

Also received my original forks plus the ones Rafa copied for me and damn he nailed it! They are identical! He did attempt to straighten the OG forks for me but he was afraid they might buckle or crack so he stopped. Once I get to filling in the random holes on the forks and frame, I will attempt to straighten the forks as well.

I'm hoping this weekend I will at least get the Briggs painted and ready for assembly. Hopefully everything goes as planned this weekend and I will have a good update next week!

Attachments

Been awhile since my last update. Work hasn't gave me a bunch of time to work on the bike but some small things have happened.

Picked up paint a couple days ago. Was less then $100 for a quart of 2 stage paint with the reducer. I already have some clear so didn't need to get any. Should have a bunch left over but a friend wants what's left for his taco bikes.

One night I attempted to clean up the tires and get the wheels assembled since I recieved the sprocket from getting coated black so it would not rust. I can NOT seem to get this white residue off these old carlisle tires. I have tried dawn dish soap and tire cleaner but stuff just doesn't want to come off. Any ideas? Once I get wheels assembled I can mock up rear of bike to make sure I bought the correct length wheel spacers.

I finally drug the frame out of the garage and test fit Karen's seat she made me over a month ago. It fits perfectly just as I thought it would. Not to mention it looks amazing! Will really help set off the bike when I finish it.

Also received my original forks plus the ones Rafa copied for me and damn he nailed it! They are identical! He did attempt to straighten the OG forks for me but he was afraid they might buckle or crack so he stopped. Once I get to filling in the random holes on the forks and frame, I will attempt to straighten the forks as well.

I'm hoping this weekend I will at least get the Briggs painted and ready for assembly. Hopefully everything goes as planned this weekend and I will have a good update next week!
Use a Blow Dryer on the Tires. The stuff will melt right off. Wipe off with Armorall wipes. Joe

delray

nice, 68 date code on that motor and a hard to find pto side cover..:thumbsup:
always a cool little bike when restored..............:scooter:

MSPTREX

Was a pretty productive Super Bowl Sunday for my taco project. I didn't watch the game as I was busy working on both my build off bikes.

Finally was able to get a day off work that my friends shop was not open so I could get the Briggs painted and assembled. I do not have heat in my garage and didn't want to stink up my basement. Was a long day but totally worth it!

I already had all my parts bought and motor was already blasted so everything went pretty smooth. Started by pulling everything off and from inside the block that hadn't already been removed. Removed the old piston and rod and made a couple passes with the hone to clean up the bore and add some cross hatch. Set the top piston ring in the bore and it measured .025 in multiple spots. A little loose but good enough for a bike that will be mostly a show piece.

So I went ahead and got everything cleaned up and dropped in the piston, rings, and rod. After that I cleaned up the valves pretty good and lapped them in. They seemed to lap in really well. After that of course the valve springs needed to go in. I have never messed with a briggs before this so was unsure how to go about putting springs/retainers back in even though I took them out. After a couple YouTube videos i decided zip ties is what I would use to install the springs. It worked but I'm sure a special tool would of been easier haha

Now all the hard stuff is done it was time to get everything ready for paint. I finished assembling the block and got everything taped off. I ended up installing any bolt that would be visable before painting in the block so I didn't have to paint them separate to so I wouldn't fill bolt hole with paint.

Attachments

MSPTREX

I ended up using a whole can of Dupli-Color DE1650 Cast Aluminum on the motor and parts. Super happy with how it turned out. Waited 10 minutes before coats and got 4 coats total. Let sit for an hour and was ready to reassemble.

Since I installed everything in the block before painting and new gaskets I am on the home stretch. I did not pay attention when I bought the new coil and I ended up buying a Magnetron coil but I also bought new points and condensor. So I decided to still install new points as well as the new coil. I figure if coil ever takes a crap I'll still have the points or if the U.S. ever get hits by an EMP I can swap it back over and have something to ride haha

After that I installed the flywheel, easy starter, and fkywheel screen. Set the coil gap with a business card and gave motor a quick swoop by hand to see if I had spark. YEP it has spark, and more spark then the old points system. Installed pull start cover, side plate on cooling fins, and top plate on head with the kill switch.

Now onto the carb and gas tank. First installed carb onto the tank, then bolted it to the motor as one piece. After taking forever to get carb bolts tight to the block I think we are about done. Add the new screw in muffler and air cleaner I think we might be done.

Attachments

MSPTREX

In the end wow this thing turned out amazing for my first time touching a briggs. I like how the little things like gas cap, oil cap, and new breather line really set off the motor.

Oh did I mention it runs?!?! After assembly with the help of a couple friends we added fluids and got it running after we got some gas in the carb. I plan to make a video later of the videos I took throughout the day.

Attachments

MSPTREX

With the motor done for the most part I decided I better start working on the frame on my day off. The original forks I sent off to Rafa at Gt's to be copied are back along with the re-pop set . Rafa did a fantastic job copying the original forks and are made of better material as well.

Good thing I did because my attempt at straighting the original forks failed. The old metal just stretched leaving a nice little bump. On top of originals forks being bent, they had roughly 6 or 7 holes from what looks like self taping screws that need welded shut.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Also worked on the frame itself. Not sure why there is so many holes in the frame/forks from self tapers. Someone also cut one of the original tank mounts only the 2 piece bikes had. There is also an added seat brace that needs to be removed and the original seat mount hole re-drilled. This bike was for sure used in its life, tons of little gouges and little scrapes. I will leave it up to the guy painting it on leaving them or smoothing everything out.

Attachments

Last edited:

MSPTREX

Filled in all the little holes on the frame as well as smoothed them out pretty good, re-added the missing original tank mount, removed the extra seat bracket, and re-drilled the original seat mount hole. After all that I disassembled the frame for the first time since I've owned it to get ready to be sand blasted. Hopefully I can get it blasted and ready for paint in the coming week or 2.

One other thing I did was mock up the rear wheel/sprocket and motor/clutch to check for chain alignment. Good thing I did because I had to trim one of my wheel spacers. Dropped them off to be powder coated black like I had the sprocket done.

Also added a picture of the serial number. 6P157 Pretty early production number. I have heard there is a few 66 welded bikes out there but unsure if that is true.

Attachments

Last edited:
In the end wow this thing turned out amazing for my first time touching a briggs. I like how the little things like gas cap, oil cap, and new breather line really set off the motor.

Oh did I mention it runs?!?! After assembly with the help of a couple friends we added fluids and got it running after we got some gas in the carb. I plan to make a video later of the videos I took throughout the day.
Very nice work , she's going to look great on the bike !

MSPTREX

Was able to finish blasting the frame last night and dropped it off to my friend Danny to be painted. He didn't say how long I will be waiting but hopefully not long because I'm anxious to see it.

Pretty much on the home stretch already. I have everything to assemble the bike besides fork tube bushings which I ordered this morning. Will post pictures when I get it back from being painted.

Attachments

MSPTREX

My buddy Danny sent me a few pictures of paint prep so far. He is working on it on his down time at work between jobs. But he said it should be painted by end of the week.

Attachments

A Briggs decal set for that model will really make it pop. :thumbsup:

MSPTREX

Well the bike is purple once again for the first time in who knows how long. My buddy Danny said he got a few runs in the clearcoat that need sanded out and fixed. Unfortunately he is getting his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow and won't finish until next week. Nonetheless frame is looking great and I can't wait to see it bolted together!

Attachments