Vintage Kart Build ( Clone )

Thanks Karen and Doug , parts should be here tomorrow and I'll let you know about the set screw over the key way. So did you run the adapter ? Get a new one ? Did the chain stay on ?

I'm running a drum brake like that, and it holds. I used Loctite green 620 on it for final assy. just in case, but it was working before that. The effort "before" that involved welding the adapter in place. That did NOT work out, so I wasted a drum with that experiment.

Did you see the kart plans drawn by and posted by "Dirtkarter" (Justin) on the diygokarts.com site? Your design looks exactly like the plans he posted in March 2014. I had been looking at them for awhile, thinking it would be a good kart to build.

Nice bends, nice welds. :thumbsup:

Thanks Karen and Doug , parts should be here tomorrow and I'll let you know about the set screw over the key way. So did you run the adapter ? Get a new one ? Did the chain stay on ?
The one like your picture is scrapped... It would have been ok if it would have been straight. I even tried to straighten it and that was a waste of good time.

I bought a machined aluminum piece. Slick as a whistle. The chain is working just fine now. Thank goodness...

Doug

Thanks for the brake tips Dave ...:thumbsup: and yea I thought about a rotor/caliper brake but it would look more correct with the drum/band brake system.
As far as the build on DIY Go Karts I hadn't seen it till you made me wonder what it looked like. So I went there and googled it and found these drawings....and you are correct , they are very close !

I really didn't have any plans set in stone and really never drew it out on paper. I got my inspiration from googling old racing karts and this pic that I saw on the OldMiniBikes a while back. :wink:

Great pics Dave and It also reminded me to add a kill switch on the steering column.:smile:

Doug , my parts should be in tomorrow ....now you got me thinking mine is probably going to be junk to ! :shrug: What's tha chances :laugh:

Last edited:
Doug , my parts should be in tomorrow ....now you got me thinking mine is probably going to be junk to ! :shrug: What's tha chances :laugh:
It was just a heads up to check it. We bought 3 and used 2 of them. 1 was bent. And of course it was the one I used. I have a third new one that I didn't even bother to try so I have no clue if it is straight or not....

Doug

Well Doug was right ! School starts back up this Wednesday in this area and this kart is no where near done. But I tried ..:shrug: weather has just not been cooperating , but this weekend is just right .
Got in some new parts for the drive line sprocket hub, axle and locking collars. I had a 62 tooth spilt sprocket to get this drive line finished up.

After looking at Dave's beautiful kart and some vintage karts on the internet I decided to pass on the drum brake for now and go with the vintage looking dual scrub brake.

Last edited:
Looks like a winner to me. It has nice vintage lines to it. Lets see a video.

Has school started up there yet??? Another week and a half here.

School starts on the 21st and Greenville is dead in the path of the Eclipse. My wife works for a global Engineering firm and she told me 2 months ago that there wasn't a room to be found in Greenville or anywhere even close. I don't imagine the first day of school will be very productive under the circumstances...

Doug

Grandson rode it this weekend but I didn't get a video . I zipped tied a make shift tank to the kart so he could take a ride and it did ok. As far as school it started back last week in this area so he's already been in school for a week now . I didn't make the deadline ! :shrug:
Hopkinsville Ky. is also dead in line for the eclipse to so we are about 35 miles from there and every room, home and even fields are rented out to people . They are letting all the kids in this area out of school that day ! :shrug: When I was going to school I had to walk there like 5 miles a day ....snow could be 4 feet deep and we never got out for a eclipse . :laugh:

I got some paint on this kart last weekend and have been putting it back together , still like putting the engine back on and the fuel tank .
I got this very nice tank from a member on here and it should work out just right.

Woo hoo! That baby pops! I look forward to seeing it with the seat upholstery installed. How old are your grandchildren riders? I am wondering if the deep dish wheel is a way to allow for growth of the drivers so that someday they will still fit when a more shallow wheel is fitted. Ain't it great to have something so nice to look at in your garage? Speaking of which, I see three overhead doors behind the kart. Is that your home shop?

I forgot to ask, what kind of paint did you use? Is the bench on which the kart rests red on top, or is that just light reflecting from the bottom of the kart?

WOW!! Just WOW Eric!! I just found this thread! Those colors are awesome! You always pick cool combinations! Very sweet looking Kart!! :thumbsup:

Woo hoo! That baby pops! I look forward to seeing it with the seat upholstery installed. How old are your grandchildren riders? I am wondering if the deep dish wheel is a way to allow for growth of the drivers so that someday they will still fit when a more shallow wheel is fitted. Ain't it great to have something so nice to look at in your garage? Speaking of which, I see three overhead doors behind the kart. Is that your home shop?
Thanks Gary , my oldest grandson is now 14 years old. Oh and yes my home/business shop.

I forgot to ask, what kind of paint did you use? Is the bench on which the kart rests red on top, or is that just light reflecting from the bottom of the kart?
Haha just over spray on the top of the gray roller table ! Paint was rattle can with 2 part clear over it.

WOW!! Just WOW Eric!! I just found this thread! Those colors are awesome! You always pick cool combinations! Very sweet looking Kart!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Jason....you made my day Buddy.... by singing on to let me know that you are OK !!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's a video of my oldest grandson riding the new kart.

[video=youtube;B99l-htHALY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99l-htHALY[/video]

What a great outcome. I think it is good for youngsters to get a feel for a vehicle before they get their license. He might be drifting that kart after awhile, hopefully someplace with lots of run-off area.