Yard Sale Find - K&S Hornet

I never stop at yard sales. If I need a lamp I go buy one from a store, but I laid down twenty feet of brake marks on a side road after spotting a green mini bike among the decor in a front yard. I jumped out of my FJ and headed straight for it. The hand written tag said $20. Awesome right? Well not if you are not carrying cash and people are stopping at this place left and right. The mini bike is a K&S Hornet Model MB-80C made by K&S Manufacturing Company in Fort Worth, Texas in the early '70's. All original, but missing the recoil starter off of the H35 and the torque converter cover. The metallic paint and cool tape stripes that were used by K&S had me drooling. So what do I do?
This is what; I asked the owner to hold it until I get back from an ATM and the answer is "can't hold anything"... Okay, now I'm thinking I have to race to the ATM and back asap before this thing gets claimed when I remember I had a $25 Wal-Mart gift card in my wallet. Haha! I felt a little emberresed, but I offered it and he said, "sounds great"!!! He told me that his wife spends all of their money at Wal-Mart anyways and he looked at it as making five extra dollars. I was glad we could make a deal.

I'll post a pic when I get to my Mac.
Sure do wish I could post pics from my iPhone.

Hint...Hent

Last edited:
BTW, if anyone has a torque converter cover for a K&S Model MB-80C that they would like to get rid of let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
The motor can turn over by hand so I have more parts to work with than originally thought.
I hope I can find a cover for the torque converter.

good luck on that cover I'm still looking.

Also you gotta get those handle bars chromed. They will turn out nice.
Did you get a chance to look at my HORNET?

good luck on that cover I'm still looking.

Also you gotta get those handle bars chromed. They will turn out nice.
Did you get a chance to look at my HORNET?
I found a cover that came off of a MB-90. Idk if it is from the same year as mine or if it will even fit until it gets here. I didn't know it had Comet units on them until I soaked the bike in WD and read it off the driven unit. Read on here that VPlex? units were originally used.

Yes, handle bars will be getting re-chromed.

Put a shortcut up when you get a chance to your build.

Who had the chrome/black tape stripes on here a while back?
I recall seeing them on a thread but have not been able to re-find it yet.

Last edited:
I can help you with a reproduced Hornet sticker and show you how I duplicated the factory striping. Comet torque converters are a direct replacement for the V-Plex converter. The converter cover you got should fit and you are good to go. Also, if you need new bushings for the sleeve where the bolt for the forks goes they can be sourced from McMaster& Carr.