Zipster Build...

Very nice bike. I like the clean lines. How did you keep the frame halves in line? It looks easy when it is done, but I am not so sure it is easy to do.

Very nice bike. I like the clean lines. How did you keep the frame halves in line? It looks easy when it is done, but I am not so sure it is easy to do.

I used a work surface with a centerline and mounted blocks to position the frame halves after I had determined the proper width for the rear axle mounts.

It was a challenge because the sides are not identical - one is about 1/8" longer, and the other is about 1/8" taller, plus everything is curved. I used a framing square, a plumb bob, and finally a laser to get it as close as I could. The guy that bent the tubing for me did a great job, but he didn't have a jig to make the halves absolutely identical - he just had the cardboard pattern I drew.

The key for me was to get the rear axle perpendicular to the centerline of the neck so that the bike will track straight and true.

I like the wheels too. Aftermarket CT70 wheels. I have a set on my yellow Bird. They looked to be pretty well built wheels, and more stylish than regular Honda wheels.:thumbsup: That's gonna be a pretty sweet ride.

ZipSeattle,

What front suspension kit are you using & where did you locate it? Also, did the front fork assembly include the stock/material that gets welded to the frame for mounting the forks?

Have you concidered using a nice curved set of old style beach cruiser handle bars over the drag bar type you fabbed up? You have a very beautiful bike & it's even better because you built it yourself. Excellent work Sir...

Here a couple examples of what I'm talking about

BICYCLE HANDLEBAR TWISTED MOON ROUND CHROME NEW - eBay (item 150133822819 end time Jan-07-09 22:20:24 PST)

BICYCLE HANDLEBAR BEACH CRUISER SCHWINN STYLE NEW - eBay (item 7230131356 end time Jan-09-09 17:30:17 PST)

MICARGI 26" MENS PANTHER BEACH BIKE BICYCLE CRUISER - eBay (item 380062940322 end time Jan-08-09 01:23:54 PST)

What front suspension kit are you using & where did you locate it? Also, did the front fork assembly include the stock/material that gets welded to the frame for mounting the forks?

Have you concidered using a nice curved set of old style beach cruiser handle bars...
The front end is for a CT70 clone bike. I got the parts from several places online, not as a kit.

I had the steering neck made. I took measurements of the triple tree, bearings, dust cap, and bearing seals, made a sketch with dimensions, and gave that, along with the steel tube, to a local machine shop for fabrication.

Handlebars: I have changed my mind several times on the handlebars, and already have a set of cruiser handlebars. Right now I'm running with the drag bars - but I've also got some other ideas...

The front end is for a CT70 clone bike. I got the parts from several places online, not as a kit.

I had the steering neck made. I took measurements of the triple tree, bearings, dust cap, and bearing seals, made a sketch with dimensions, and gave that, along with the steel tube, to a local machine shop for fabrication.

Handlebars: I have changed my mind several times on the handlebars, and already have a set of cruiser handlebars. Right now I'm running with the drag bars - but I've also got some other ideas...
It looks sweet, keep up the excellent work. And thank you for the info :thumbsup:

The bike looks great - have you made any more progress?
Did you get the springs for the seat? I did not use mine because I kept the stock rear suspension. If you need them, let me know.

The bike looks great - have you made any more progress?
Did you get the springs for the seat? I did not use mine because I kept the stock rear suspension. If you need them, let me know.
Thanks x-90, but I've got the springs. As for progress, here's what I've done since my last post:

- Made the forward seat bracket/cross tube and welded it in place
- Made a bracket for the seat to convert to a single monoshock/spring. I'm a little concerned about side to side stability for the seat, but I think it will look cool, and if it doesn't work I'll go with two springs.
- Worked on the bearing hangers for the jackshaft - I'm using the washer style, but raising them up a bit - I don't want the bottom edge of the driven pulley to hang below the frame.
- Had the finish welds done on the neck and rear axle mounts by a pro welder. The guy made some good beefy welds while I waited, and only charged me $20.:thumbsup: I'm doing all the other welds, but I wanted those done by a pro.

The holiday and a lot of snow lately has slowed me down. I'll try to post some pics soon.