2015 Build Off Entry MTTW Wards T555

OK. Got the Larry axle and I'm going to keep it as a Plan B option. I pressed out the bushings in the original diff. They are 7/8"ID x 1"OD x 2" Length and appear to be steel. It looks like the Larry axle bearings won't work as they appear to be 3/4" ID and are bronze.

I have found sleeve bearings that are 7/8"x1"x2"Long in bronze for around $14+shipping for 3 pcs. I've also found the same size bearing in C96900 Cast Bronze, ToughMet 3. They are rated for much higher loads and are the right color to match with my original parts. However, they are freaking $48/bearing!!!

My question is, does it matter if I use the plain bronze? If I need the super bearings, OK. I just don't want to spend almost $100 on bearings when a $14 pair will work. For what its worth, the peerless diff uses bronze, though the bearings have a thicker wall thickness.

The bronze will wear faster. It all depends on how much you intend to ride it.

If it will sit and be polished with a diaper, then cheap ones, but if you intend to ride it like you stole it, I would go for the good bearings.

Don't get me wrong, the bronze bushings will last a while. Depends on the definition of "a while".

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm definately going to ride it, but not like a nut. Its not like I'll crank the throttle while using the cutting brakes....much. I figure thats the worst case for wearing the diff bearings.

I'm thinking go bronze and keep an eye on them. If they burn up fast, I'll cough up the $100 for the fancy stuff. Like I said, the peerless axle has bronze bushings, so it may be all good.

If nothing else, I can verify that the dimensions are right. I don't want to buy $100 work of bearings just to find out they aren't a proper press fit for my diff! At least if the bronze bearings fit, I know the same bearings made from the heavy duty stuff will fit.

OK. Got the Larry axle and I'm going to keep it as a Plan B option. I pressed out the bushings in the original diff. They are 7/8"ID x 1"OD x 2" Length and appear to be steel. It looks like the Larry axle bearings won't work as they appear to be 3/4" ID and are bronze.

I have found sleeve bearings that are 7/8"x1"x2"Long in bronze for around $14+shipping for 3 pcs. I've also found the same size bearing in C96900 Cast Bronze, ToughMet 3. They are rated for much higher loads and are the right color to match with my original parts. However, they are freaking $48/bearing!!!

My question is, does it matter if I use the plain bronze? If I need the super bearings, OK. I just don't want to spend almost $100 on bearings when a $14 pair will work. For what its worth, the peerless diff uses bronze, though the bearings have a thicker wall thickness.
Were your axles sloppy in the bushing? Im willing to bet they were 3/4" and wore out to 7/8"... Did you measure the axle or just the hole?.... At 350 pounds. One hand on the brake and one full on the throttle,I have never had a problem with brass.

The slop was less than 1/16" of an inch and the axles are 7/8" They weren't worn toooooooo bad. They had just a little wiggle, but it was definitely not as tight as the Larry Axle I've got.

I'm going to pick up some brass pieces and see how they do.

Last edited:

This is from McMaster-Carr's web site and is also the material I am using for my steering bearings. They look like steel and maybe the same type you are looking for?

SAE 863—Also called Super Oilite®, this material is similar to SAE 841, but contains more iron for greater strength. Note: Color is silver because of the iron.

Yeah, except McMaster doesn't have anything that is 7/8"IDx1"OD that is 2" long. They have a 3" in the SAE 863 that I guess could be cut down, but the Pv is 35,000, versus 75,000 for the basic bronze. Also, the P value is 3500psi, vs 4000 for the basic bronze. Just not worth buying them just to have to cut them down.

FINALLY!!! A warmish day! A welding and a grinding I shall go! I may even finish up the diff if I've got time to get some fresh hardware. I pressed in the new bearings and cleaned all the chain lube off it. That stuff is thick as hell!

I've got to get all the powder coated parts ready to go to the coater before I fly to China for two weeks this Friday. Wish me luck!

Ugh! I'm at the airport,getting ready to fly to Hong Kong, and the bike isn't at the coater's! Looks like it will be another mad dash to finish once I get home. The good news is the welding is done. Bad news is the grinding, sanding, and smoothing isn't, and I don't want to rush it if it's getting powdered.

The diff is polished and rebuilt. Pics to come when I get back to the US. Sorry I've been slacking on the pics, but it's been such a rush getting ready for this trip. I'll have plenty to show in April...I hope! Zhu wo hao yun ba!

Last edited:
Wow! Looks Awesome! I've still got to make a clutch guard template and figure out the size for the cover decal, but that fork decal looks awesome! You will hear from me soon.

I just finished this up for Joe and figured I'd post a couple pictures for him.

Thanks for having me do the seat Joe, I really enjoyed working on it.

Last edited:
FINALLY!!! PROGRESS!!! I finished grinding and sanding the frame repair on the tube that holds the foot rest! It was 95% cracked through. Now the frame can go to the coater once I pull the tires from the rims, which I'll do tonight!

I'll refinish the briggs while the frame gets powder coated and I should be on track to finish on the night of May 31st, like last year!!

Finally got a chance to post a pic of the axle. The seat got here and it looks even better in person! I should be getting the powder coated parts early next week. Who knows? I may actually finish in time!

Glad to hear it!

Hey Joe, it's good to hear that the seat arrived. I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing it on the trike when you get to that point. I hope I get to see it in person so I can get my typical picture of the finished project with the seat on it. Keep at it bud, I'm sure with the work you do it's going to be another cool trike.

Got the rims back from the plasti-blaster. I polished one side up a little for a comparison shot. I'm not going for super shiney, but rather an nice semi-matte, fresh cast kind of look.