JC Pennys Rupp Swinger Trail

I just picked up a purple JC Pennys Rupp Swinger Trail. I am unsure if I am going to restore it as a Swinger Trail or a Roadster 2. Does anyone have any pictures or know what month season it was advertised in the catalog? Thank you,

Post some pics. I'm not into Rupps at all, but I do know they retain their value, and are probably rarer as the Penneys Swinger Trail.

Right now it is not much to look at (a diamond in the rough). It is a different purple then the Rupp Roadster 2. It also has factory pinstriping on the TC cover. The back of the seat says "Swinger" I feel lke Austin Powers!
As soon as I figure out how to upload some pictures I will.

Right now it is not much to look at (a diamond in the rough). It is a different purple then the Rupp Roadster 2. It also has factory pinstriping on the TC cover. The back of the seat says "Swinger" I feel lke Austin Powers!
As soon as I figure out how to upload some pictures I will.
Yes, post some pics. We love seeing them in the rough:smile: If it where me it would stay a Swinger.

Here is a picture of a Rupp Swinger Trail. I think 1971 was the only year but I could be wrong.
That's sharp in Yellow, I'm a Rupp fan but was never into the 12" bikes. But that is enough to sell me. It reminds me of the XL700 or whatever the yellow '69 is that's at Windber. But the yellow on the bike you pictured is sharp.

That is it! What JC Pennys catalog, month / season / year, did you find that picture. I have been looking since I bought this bike. Thank you,

Randy your talking about this bike. Rupp only made 24 or so from what I read.
Yes thats it, I got pics of it in my Windber album.

You guys do realize, Rupp never produced this bike, The guy who built it, did it as a joke that Rupp made it with the big wheels.
Are you serious? I read about it over at Brandt's and then seen it at Windber and acted like I was looking at a 63 Mustang:doah:
I want to beleive:anon.sml:

Carey builds stuff like that, It a to mess with guys who do not know Rupps, He also built the rusty 69 Roadster with the wheelbarrow side car with the inner tube under the toilet seat for air ride for the passenger. He calls it the Rupp Ruster, He had custom decals made for that bike also.Trust me it a practical joke bike.

I now its on his site, Paul who runs ruppbikes site put it on there the way Carey tells the story to everyone thats ask about it, Custom 69 Roadster 12 inch wheeled model that Rupp never marketed. He used the fork legs and front fender off the 1970 Rupp bikes with 10 inch wheels and made the custom rear swing arm for it and added 1971 and up 12" spoke wheels and fenders, rear shocks, I think Jeff's the one who did the decals for it.

Last edited:
No one else has a Swinger? I do not think they made them in 1971.? Mine has the pinstriping on the TC cover, I originally thought that someone did that back in the 70's to make it look "cool" The bad news is the TC cover has a big on the bottom of it.

I have a swinger i bought new from Pennys. I thought i bought it in 71. I know it was no later than that. Its 99.9% original. I am looking to sell it. Its in pretty good shape. I have not started it in years tho.