Most Popular Collector Mini Bikes

I'm looking to pick up another Minibike so I can ride with my son while he's on his Doodlebug. Having owned a minibike in the late 70's (a Scat Cat I believe it was), I am looking to pick up a vintage one for myself.

With so many choices, I'm looking for some direction on a list of the most popular vintage Mini Bikes, which ones are the favorites with collectors and why. Here is a list of bikes that I can see are popular, please let me know if I missed any.

Tail Horse
Bonanza
Heathkit
Ruttman
Sears
MTD
Little Indian
Scat Cat
Rupp

Of the above, which ones are generally the most valuable and/or best quality?

I have one hell of a nice Trail Horse I'll sell ya :deal:

Rupp, Bonanza, Powell are always good ones if you're looking for resale value because they are well built and ride nice.. I've never owned a Powell but can see from the pics, the large wheels, even weight distribution, wold drive very well.. BUT they cost a fortune.. The most popular bikes are popular because they are quality machines..

What I RECOMMEND in finding a bike is....

#1 ... foot peg location You want them centered for weight distribution. Too far
forward makes for a squirly ass end and broken necks.. :hang:

#2..... Full suspension makes for a comfortable ride and better ground holding ability

#3.... Wheel Diameter .. bigger the better for handling, stability, and lessened drag..

#4..... Maintainability.. No chinese made to sell bikes.. :hammer: And the tilted engine bikes can be a pain in the butt to work and fabricate around.. (stupid idea)

#5 ... Style and class :laugh: Thats a no brainer.. Whatever appeals to you BUT!!

#6.. elaborate... The more cool chrome and gizmos offered the better.. More valuable pieces that ya gotta have for it to be right makes it worth more always, AND makes it cooler to look at...

I've owned em all man... And although a 6 inch wheel is really about as small as you want to go for a daily rider, a GOOD 6 inch bike drives nice I/E Rupp, Bonanza.. In MY OPINION the Turbine wheel, rear foot peg 60's Rupps (Lil Indian suspended is the same) are the best factory built minibike ever..

Rupp Goat, Rupp Roadster, Rupp TT500 Lil Indian Sabre

This one my buddy found in the garbage years back.. And after I got it running for him, I have always had a love affair with it since.. It's mine now and getting all redone and lives in the house now

Then theres this Suicycle thing I built with 20 inch wheels I have put thousands of miles on that typically runs like a watch and drives like a dream.. But it's beat all to hell and torn all apart at the moment.. :laugh: But the Bicycle seat and rigid rear end makes it a butt buster after 30 miles or so.. Ya need to get off and take a break eventually.. As to wear the Goat just takes ya wherever ya wanna go and it's all good...

Last edited:
Honda ct70, and z50's bring the most consistant money
Tacos are allways sought after
Rupps, just becuase they are the best minibikes!
Bonanzas, they are nice and collectable
These 4 companies are the most sought after minibikes, and I own a little of them all, except for tacos i had a couple but i dont think they were all that ridable?

hey guys just picked up a matched set of deckson mini hunter seller thought they were rupps ..there not, are the deck sons a good mini and are they collected? The ones I have are in really good shape

hey guys just picked up a matched set of deckson mini hunter seller thought they were rupps ..there not, are the deck sons a good mini and are they collected? The ones I have are in really good shape
I believe the Deckson is an Aussie bike? Don't see too many of them in the States...

Bonanza would top that list...
That's one man's opinion. :laugh: Actually, they're all good. One thing to consider is that they are not all the same size. Some are much larger than others. Think about how much time you plan to spend riding, and what size bike will fit you best. A little bitty Lil Indian w/4" wheels is really cute, but if you are a big guy it might not be the easiest or most fun to ride.

george3

I will have to agree with the rupp with the turbine wheels are high quality bikes. I like the Bonanzas and Powell's they are also high quality bikes. But then again I could list 20 others. they all feel different and handle there own way, depends how you ride them.

I sold the Rupp's the Powell's some Cat's and the Taco's for the price cutter yet very popular to young kids. for the unsure-passable man sized ride it's a Powell Challenger it's not trying to pass as something else but a great trail bike made for adult riders. Sure they cost a bit more but the design followed no trendy path.
Steve :scooter:

I'm looking to pick up another Minibike so I can ride with my son while he's on his Doodlebug. Having owned a minibike in the late 70's (a Scat Cat I believe it was), I am looking to pick up a vintage one for myself.

With so many choices, I'm looking for some direction on a list of the most popular vintage Mini Bikes, which ones are the favorites with collectors and why. Here is a list of bikes that I can see are popular, please let me know if I missed any.

Tail Horse
Bonanza
Heathkit
Ruttman
Sears
MTD
Little Indian
Scat Cat
Rupp

Of the above, which ones are generally the most valuable and/or best quality?
I've owned a Powell Challenger, 2 Bonanza's (with suspension and without), a Taco 22 and a Bird duck. In my opinion...
Powell was most spacious, very sturdy and rode comfortably, it seemed to be best suited for my size but parts are scarce/expensive, so I let her go.
Taco - High cool factor but way too small for me, so I let her go too.

Bird Duck- had a relaxed laid back chopper feel, good for street cruising, limited engine size due to frame configuration, not too comfortable and squirly in the dirt, yes, I let her go as well.

Bonanza's - I still have both Bonanza's and like them the most, very close to the powell in comfort, sturdiness, I can find parts pretty easy and Bonanza's have a high cool factor.

I'd look for a Bonanza. JMO
:eek:ut:

george3

I've owned a Powell Challenger, 2 Bonanza's (with suspension and without), a Taco 22 and a Bird duck. In my opinion...
Powell was most spacious, very sturdy and rode comfortably, it seemed to be best suited for my size but parts are scarce/expensive, so I let her go.
Taco - High cool factor but way too small for me, so I let her go too.

Bird Duck- had a relaxed laid back chopper feel, good for street cruising, limited engine size due to frame configuration, not too comfortable and squirly in the dirt, yes, I let her go as well.

Bonanza's - I still have both Bonanza's and like them the most, very close to the powell in comfort, sturdiness, I can find parts pretty easy and Bonanza's have a high cool factor.

I'd look for a Bonanza. JMO
:eek:ut:
My opnion too. the Powell and the Bonanza. I have 3 Powells and 6 Bonanzas not because the bonanza is better Just a bit easier to find. Thats not counting all the other american made bikes I have. no room for china pos.

I would have to agree Powell for comfort and design...You gotta admit there quick release throttle and aluminum spark arrestor are second to none:thumbsup:
Taco like Hodaka said " High cool factor "
Bonanza chopper for its chick magnetism
Gosh I could fill pages with all of the other's

MiniBike Paul

You gotta admit there quick release throttle and aluminum spark arrestor are second to none:thumbsup:
IMHO, while Don (BayAreaBurrito) is exactly correct, I believe that any Powell still around with those parts, and/or their extremely distinctive and rare chainguard(s), should be preserved!!!!

Find a Powell missing those and it is a perfect "rider" candidate! If it has those parts, but you must still use it as a rider, remove & replace them with regular stuff, and put them on a shelf, or better yet, sell them to me!!

I am just now starting the restoration of 3 Powells at the same time, one of which will be a clone motor rider because the important parts are missing and virtually impossible to buy (I will be posting as a project soon) - anyone with a good chainguard for sale, or a throttle or cable, or almost anything Powell, please PM me! THANKS, and thanks to Don for all the help so far!