Need spacer made - machine shop guys

So what can you guys do for me price-wise?
I just need to send this spacer to someone and have them replicate it in a perfect circle with perfectly flat surfaces and the same spaced holes. The guy that I dropped it off with is apparently on drugs to want to charge me what he quoted me.:eek:ut:

By the way, the spacer will be going on this wheel

Last edited:
how much should it cost?:shrug:
I'd like to know the same thing. I paid $40 for the Trail Horse it's going on in my avatar. I sure as hell am not going to pay close to $200 for a part you can't even see!! I just thought since the guy was local and convenient, I would give him a shot at a quote.

how much should it cost?:shrug:
That can vary alot. One guy might think he can do a job in an hour and the next guy might think it will take him 2 hrs. That doesn't neccessarily make one guy a better machinist than the other, it just means they have different thoughts on how to do the job or have different experience. So you take hrs.x shop-rate and add material cost to come up with a price.
What I see in that spacer is.... Inspection( to get dimensions), lathe work (and clean-up) plus some mill-work(and clean-up) plus material. Can't really say how much time till I know the size.

$190.65? dam thats bad . wow i can see maybe like 50 /60 ya know a hour shop time and im guessing that hunk of aluminum is around 10 15 $. but not worth that much .
and a $175.69for a jack shaft , how hard is to make one of them ? at that price it better be some strong super alloy . hell i can get pre keyed shafting at the local metal shed for like $5 to 25$ a foot depending on size . if they have any left that is , not a common stock here

What size chink of aluminum is that? I think a piece of solid 5" stock would be about 40-50 bucks from someplace like Mcmaster Carr. It would take me about a week to do working 8 hour days, so I figure I can do it for about $3200.00 if that works. :laugh:

$190.65? dam thats bad . wow i can see maybe like 50 /60 ya know a hour shop time and im guessing that hunk of aluminum is around 10 15 $. but not worth that much .
and a $175.69for a jack shaft , how hard is to make one of them ? at that price it better be some strong super alloy . hell i can get pre keyed shafting at the local metal shed for like $5 to 25$ a foot depending on size . if they have any left that is , not a common stock here
It's 5/8" shaft.Can't be any longer than 10" IIRC.

The guy I go to out in the country made me three 72 Rupp Roadster / Scrambler jackshafts threaded both ends for $100.00 the steel shaft included . I guess I am getting a deal out here in the sticks .