Rebirth of a 1970 fox Street Scamp

matt2

Hi everyone
A lot of you have seen my Street Scamp before. About a year or so ago when the engine was smoking to much and starting to run very bad I put a H/F 212cc on it. It turned out ok but it was never the same as the Tecumseh HS40 and the lighted coil. So the short story is, about 15 - 18 years ago I gave my oldest son a beautiful 1970 blue with white Fox Street Scamp. He beat the crap out of it for a few years. Then he took it apart to paint it. He did start to paint the engine black but never finished it. jump ahead a bunch of years and I let Kyle know that I was going to fix her up and he could have it back when I was gone or to old to ride. So I put her back together now blue with the original Tec. painted red it looked good and everything worked. The next time the engine needed work I put the H/F 212cc on her looked ok but in my heart I knew I had ruined what made the Street Scamp the cool little mini it is. Here are a few pictures of the bike in the different stages. I don't have a picture of how it looked when I got it for Kyle but if you have ever seen pictures of a beautiful blue and white Street Scamp this one was as nice or nicer. The first picture is how it looked when I got it back from Kyle. The last picture is how it looks today.

matt2

So it is time to rebuild the original Tecumseh HS40. I have worked on engines my whole life but never did a complete rebuild on a small engine ever. I want to rebuild it completely and get painted back to the original color. Wanting it done right I PMed chatten63 [Rick] to see if he new of someone I could trust to send my Tecumseh to. I wanted a complete rebuild with a paint job. Rick offered to help me out so I packed up the engine and sent it to him. That was today so it will be awhile before I have much to show you. I will get up some pictures after I pull the 212 off . Rick did say that he would be putting the original decals on the engine. [AWESOME]

buckeye

You know I am a Fox fan, so I eill be watching to see how nice it turns out.
And guarantee, you will not be disappointed in your engine when done. Rick does some of the nicest work on this site. Plus, he's a great honest guy.:thumbsup:

matt2

Thanks jeep2003 never had the title but all the serial numbers are still on the frame. I was told I could take the numbers down to the DMV and get it with a little work. Hi buckeye yep I new you would be watching. Rick gave me a lot of help with my VT5. So I thought I would just see if he knew of somebody to help, when he offered I knew that it was going to the right place.

matt2

Hey everyone
I ordered a NOS head light kill switch for the mini today. My switch and wiring have been screwed up for a long time. I don't have a clue how it was wired. Right now every thing is on when the engine is running, wired right to the lights. I know that someone on here must have a wiring diagram for the 1970 Fox Street Scamp. I would like to get it back to or as close to original as possible. I know mine had a brake light switch but nothing left so help me please. LOOKING FOR A WIRE DIAGRAM FOR LIGHTS AND KILL SWITCH FOR A 1970 FOX STREET SCAMP.

matt2

First let me say I like original patina. That being said, the engine is going to be like new original. Do I get the frame painted? If I leave it the way it is will the bike with the new engine look good? Someone show me a picture of a mini with decent original paint and a rebuilt and painted original engine. Here is a picture of my paint now. Sorry about the messy shop, even my son Kyle offered to come over to help me clean. lazy winter :wink:

matt2

Hey jeep2003 here is a picture of the serial number. Someday I will go down to the DMV and see what they want to get it licensed.

bike looks good as is. why not "patina" the engine.

just tell rick not to go crazy on it.

nice to see a predator getting replaced with a tec,

matt2

bike looks good as is. why not "patina" the engine.

just tell rick not to go crazy on it.

nice to see a predator getting replaced with a tec,
I kind of like the idea of a new original engine I just hope it looks good with the old paint on the mini. I'm going to take some time to spit polish the frame and see how she looks.

I have never tried to make an engine look old or used after rebuilding it and painting it. How would you go about trying to patina a motor? I only know how to make look new after painting.this will be Matt's call on finish but still would like to know how to do it. Thanks Rick.

matt2

This is the wifes bike and she wants it pretty. So there's a guy up the road that does body work at his house I'm going to see what he wants to paint it. I just hope that he can match the color. I will get it all apart take the frame pieces to him and get things going. Keri wants blue with metallic I'm trying to push her to the original blue.

matt2

Thanks Manchester it has a lot of big scratches and Keri, the apple of my eye wants it pretty. We did agree to go with just the original color no metallic, sweet. Anyway I did get it mostly apart. I got a picture to show you on the back of the brake light.

matt2

They look great Matt, have you tried to see if the PEX water clamps would work instead of hose clamps?
Are they like the original clamps? Ogy sent me a diagram of the original clamps. I'm going to try and make a set when it goes back together.

matt2

I won't pay what the auto paint guys want. So I think we are going with powder coat. So we are changing the color. Keri would like your input on colors remember the engine will be original white. We looked in the photos of Fox not many choices on colors there. They have all the basic colors so what do you think with the white engine?

Just a picture to compare for colors