Rugblaster's 2015 OldMiniBikes buildoff "cactus donkey" jff

Well, I don't wish I only had 2 inches........that's ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous. My weather is supposed to be in the 70's to low 80's the next three days, so I'm going to try to paint again. Tomorrow.

Well, I don't wish I only had 2 inches........that's ridiculous. Funny, but ridiculous. My weather is supposed to be in the 70's to low 80's the next three days, so I'm going to try to paint again. Tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will be shoveling off the roof of my shop because we are getting 4 to 6 tomorrow and rain on Sunday :doah:

This weather is something else, setting records, snow piling up. I got my project painted today, in between cold spells. Our weather is supposed to be in the 20's by early next week. I'll have some photos later.

Finally got this dude painted today

The weather got warmer yesterday and continued today. In the 70's and the humidity is around 45%, that's perfect except the wind is blowing pretty hard and I was concerned a lot of crap would be in the air. Oddly, I think the snow killed a few bugs and cleaned the air.

So I shot the SEM etching primer on the frame, fork and tank. 2 coats.

I could tell this tank was going to turn out good if I did my part.

I set a timer on my phone and waited 1 hour for the primer to gas off. I forgot to say, I used some clean tee shirt rags and cleaner to wipe the parts off before I started, and then used a tack rag to lightly wipe off the frame etc. I use the tack rag between each coat of primer and each coat of base. Not the clear.

Someone once told me to keep the paint gun nozzle in the paint cup with a little thinner to keep everything clean. Just don't store it more than a few days like that.

I mixed the paint in these quart mixing cups. They have ratio scales printed on them. The base coat is mixed with urethane hardener at 2 to 1. You just fill the cup up to the level of how much paint you think you will spray, lets say to a 5 and then move to the next column to the right and fill the cup to 5 again. I stir it up for a minute or two, pour it through a paint strainer into the gun.

This is the frame paint. It is called "cool vanilla"...sort of a creamy white.....it is a new Dodge color.........the tank will be a Indian motorcycle pea green color.

Paint on the frame and clear. 2 coats of color and three coats of clear. I used a piece of sheet metal as a test piece to know when each coat went down. It is ready for another coat when you can touch the panel with a finger tip and no paint leaves strings from your finger to the panel.....you just want to have finger prints.

I'm using one of these cool Petzl headlights to see what the Hell I'm doing. I have 4 fluorescent lights above me and I still can't see shit.

This tank really came out nice. You can really lay down some smooth shitizzle when the weather isn't so hot or cold. The seat will be like saddle leather color, aluminum wheels and a black motor to complete the ensemble.

Last edited:
Nice job. I like the size of your gun mister. :laugh: I never get photos of me painting because she only comes out after it's done and the gun is clean so she can point out the dry spots, the runs and the misses.

I'd like to try Wanda. Heard it had great coverage, and was on par with PPG in quality. I don't see it around here. Nice color mix with the tank and frame- gives it that old style look. :thumbsup: (I like your outdoor kitchen too)

buckeye

Very nice man.
Again great tutorial.
You can read about it all day and not get. Your explanation helps us thick heads to get it.
Thanks

Nice job. I like the size of your gun mister. :laugh: I never get photos of me painting because she only comes out after it's done and the gun is clean so she can point out the dry spots, the runs and the misses.

I'd like to try Wanda. Heard it had great coverage, and was on par with PPG in quality. I don't see it around here. Nice color mix with the tank and frame- gives it that old style look. :thumbsup: (I like your outdoor kitchen too)
The only reason I got the picture of me painting is my wife was eating my a** out about having the camera around the paint. Then she took a few photos. This paint store I go to changes paint lines every year. DuPont, PPG, Matrix, RM, Omni .......etc etc etc. I can't think of all of them. But, they let me look through mistint paint and let me have whatever I want. For small projects its great. I painted a bar stool racer I built, a golf cart, my other mini bike and other stuff with free paint.

I'm happy with the Wanda paint, I'd never heard of it, but I had heard of Sikkens paint, seems good. I used Matrix hardener/reducer in it because I already had the can. That seemed to work well too. The clear is yet another brand called Gen-Tec by Lucid Technologies. I had the clear but had to buy the activator for it. All different brands of everything and it all worked. I hear your not supposed to do that but it worked????

Very nice man.
Again great tutorial.
You can read about it all day and not get. Your explanation helps us thick heads to get it.
Thanks
Thanks......that's how I learned, just watched and asked questions. Most of the time this stuff seems like magic and it's not. At one time people would use a viscosity cup to measure the fluidity of the paint. Now it's super easy with the mixing cups. There is a tech sheet for all these paints that has all the mixing ratios on it.

that's funny. actually don't blame her though.fricken paint gets everywhere

looks good
Yep, yore right. Most of the time she's cheerful, but every now and then she "has her stinger out."

Paint does get everywhere. *feeling of my hair right now* makes a huge mess.

I hear your not supposed to do that but it worked????
Isn't that odd? I always use different MFGR products and never have a problem either. Must be marketing, or legal disclaimer driven.

At least you try and cover your stuff up. Everything I own in the garage (except the RT) has a film of paint. Last year I had to clay bar the wife's Pontiac. It's funny, you prep the hell out of something and you bust your ass to get a decent coat. But leave something out that's greasy or dusty, and all the way in the corner of the garage, and the overspray sticks to it like glue.

Cant use mixing cups with Nason acrylic at 8:2:1. I use shot glasses. Seem to work out good for mini bike-sized jobs.

Mixing Cups

I haven't cleaned up my mess yet. The weather has really gone to hell and it is in the 20's now and sleeting. My garage has no heat.

I took my laptop up to the paint store today to show the manager, Mike the photos of the bike. They are always wanting to see what I'm working on. I was going to get their feedback on a pinstripe color.

I asked him about the 8 to whatever ratios and he pointed out this on the cup.

Say if the ratio is 8:2:1 you use the 4:1:1/2 scale. If you need to mix a "7" worth of paint, you would fill the cup to the first 7 under the 4 then add the catalyst to the next 7 to the right and then add reducer to the next 7....... I learn something every time I go up there. They always look at me like I don't have a brain cell in my head. :biggrin:

Say if the ratio is 8:2:1 you use the 4:1:1/2 scale.
Thanks, I've seen that scale and that cup a thousand times, and am pretty good at math and NEVER noticed that! LMAO! I will point out that where your tape marks are, is enough to do four or five bikes. :laugh:

Still, like you say, it's nice to learn something new. I appreciate it.