Stangrcr1's Open class TH/TB

I been busy...

Maybe I should add hoarder to the signature. Don't look at the rest of the garage.... :doah:

Amazing I am trying 3 builds at the same time in enough room for one.

Count this as my update for the month. Probably be done by the next one. Unless....

And here is the issue. I am not liking the Briggs in there. It is a bunch of leftover parts that might run. All used but good stock parts, some modified, and no governor with a Mikuni on it. Does have new rings and gaskets, fresh valve job, etc. I built this as a spare to have around, but even though I built it, I am leery of it. Just a feeling I get from it.

Anyway, I have a brand new still in the box old style Predator that I am thinking of using instead. Already have some go fast parts for it including a GX390 carb and header...

But I think this bike deserves a nice 5hp Tecumseh. Problem is, I don't have one. I am on the look for one, but no luck yet.

So what is everyone"s opinion?

I spy with my little eye: is that a 97cc gas tank in that bucket? :laugh: You said not to look but.....:rolleyes:
Thanks!

Actually that is a 5hp briggs tank....

I got it put together this far and then realized I don't have the bracket for the band brake. I found a few pics of them and in the process of fabricating one now. I think I have figured out a way to mount it so it is mostly behind or below the swingarm. More hidden so you can see the rear wheel.

I am trying to get as much of this one done as I can right now since the BSR should be back from powdercoating sometime this week.

Thanks for the compliments!

Guess I will run it for now... I am in the process of making a brake band bracket. Figures I get this far and forget something... Just waiting for the cable to show.

And still have bodywork to finish on the fenders. Soon....

So much for a nice paint job. :hammer:

Bike fell off the stand and scratched up the paint pretty bad. At least I don't have to worry about it now fabbing the brake band bracket. Still have to cut the kickstand to length too.

Going to strip it back down and powder this time.

And since I am no longer worried about the paint...

Here is my take on a new design for the Trail Horse/Trail Blazer band brake bracket. From the first I saw the factory bracket, I didn't like it. I like this one much better.

I still need to work on the band alignment a bit and getting the cable a little farther from the tire, but otherwise very happy with how this came out.

Suggestion? Comments?

And here is the TP....

Much thanks goes out to Fat Boy for sending me the TH brake drum! Thanks again!

Last edited:
When I tried the first version of this bracket, the band tended to stay engaged when I had the band as you describe. This way, normal rotation tends to open it on release. I had thought about that and seen it opposite of mine on most bikes. Do you have to have a release spring then to help prevent the band from staying engaged?

If it doesn't work, I can always make another bracket. I do prefer this bracket style over the factory one. Less bulky and ugly to me. Plus you can see the wheel.

I was wondering why no one was commenting on it. Guess everyone else didn't want to call it out...

Last edited:
When I tried the first version of this bracket, the band tended to stay engaged when I had the band as you describe. This way, normal rotation tends to open it on release. I had thought about that and seen it opposite of mine on most bikes. Do you have to have a release spring then to help prevent the band from staying engaged?

If it doesn't work, I can always make another bracket. I do prefer this bracket style over the factory one. Less bulky and ugly to me. Plus you can see the wheel.

I was wondering why no one was commenting on it. Guess everyone else didn't want to call it out...
I stayed out of this comment because the way you did it makes the most sense to me but I have been told I am wrong many times. so to educated myself, I researched this topic and found out my way is not the recommended way and that the proper way to attach it is for the band to wrap the drum in the direction of motion. I just picture it grabbing hard while engaging when the band wraps in the direction of the drum and not releasing. I have a 6" band and drum on my project and am going to use a spring to help assist it because the band grabs the drum too snuggly.

Just spent some time looking at all the google pics and mechanical drawings of band brakes, then reading some tech documents on band brakes, and there is no concensus that one way is better.

The brake bands holding mooring capstans on ships have tons of force on them and they have manufactured them for use in either direction. Same applies to automatic transmission bands as they have been made and set up both ways.

As such, I will run this one as I have made it. If it doesn't work, then I have learned something and will make a new bracket. If it does work, I learned something.

Everything in life is a learning experience. :thumbsup:

Bike is only about 10 bolts, two chains, and a fuel tank to being a rider, so maybe a test run this weekend...