Best Minibike for around $350?

I like the styling of the Baja Doodlebug but it seems to me that the performance from the Motovox MBX10 is better, is this true? I know nothing really of engine specs. :)

Hey Aldovino,

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes site.

If you are looking in to new, look at one of those Coleman trail mini bikes...kind of like a baha plus some neat luggage racks.

But regarding $350 for new, my first thought was hmmmm $350...let's see, I could buy one new (currently produced) mini bike :shrug:, or I could buy 2 or more vintage mini's for that price..:thumbsup:.

I like vintage, and have paid $150 or less each for my 8 vintage minis !

Either way though, they are all fun !

Enjoy, and again, welcome to the OldMiniBikes !

Aldovino, a lot of guys are picking up a used Doodlebug for around $150, swapping in a $99 HF Predator 212, eventually get to some easy engine mods, upgrade to Motovox forks, hudraulic brakes, etc. lots of aftermarket goodies out there and fun stuff. So ya starts cheap and go up from there. All of it has be done and logged here at OldMiniBikes so go nuts! Welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

dakota

Motovox MBX10 is on sale right now @ Sears for $279.99 I like them a lot - great buy & you can always swap out the 2.5hp motor for the 6.5hp predator or a Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Flathead like I did..

Last edited:
Regardless of what you buy you need to buy used and toss or sell the stock engine. Both minibikes use a cheap 79cc engine that will disappoint you unless you weigh 100# or less and then it will die years before a utility type engine should. As for styling I like the DB in both styles but would buy a Motovox given we have DBs already. The style of the Motovox could grow on me if they perform as well as the DBs have for me.

A DB, even the new style will accept a 6.5 swap easier from what I've seen and I would without a doubt re-slot my engine plate with either choice rather than use a swap kit. Swap kits are for the less evolved tool users out there IMO and they do not allow full contact with the engine plate causing an already vibration prone engine to vibrate even more. So given the engines are the same essentially you are now down to styling and ease of engine swaps.

Swap kits are for the less evolved tool users
LMAO! Ace, you give some great advice in this post, but the statement above made me think of those National Geographic shows with monkeys using sticks to dig bugs out of tree stumps. :laugh:

It seems as if the answer to the $350 dollar question is "there are no decent offerings for new bikes at that price." Basic bike at $279, OHV motor at $99, plus ancillary parts to do the swap, you're way over $350.

Might be better to go with an old bike and paint and repower. :confused:

trinik7597

i have seen the motovox mbx10 for as low as $229.00 during the holiday season at Kmart :thumbsup: i do not know about Miami but if you are patient around here you can find a db30 or mbx10 for as low as $50.00 on cl

buckeye

I'm with the old school club.
I'd find a cheap old bike, put some lipstick on it, and ride that baby til the wheels fell off.

Thank you guys, I disagree with the mbx10 styling and like the Baja doodlebug more for it'd classic look, the mbx10 looks like its trying too hard to be a motorcycle. I also have been looking everywhere for a doodlebug but literally can't find any ;(

trinik7597

Thank you guys, I disagree with the mbx10 styling and like the Baja doodlebug more for it'd classic look, the mbx10 looks like its trying too hard to be a motorcycle. I also have been looking everywhere for a doodlebug but literally can't find any ;(
there are at least 4 db30's old and new style in your area for less than you want to spend i just showed you the best in my opinion

the Kmart down the street is closing so they have the motovox for $279. which is a alright price but if they drop them to $230. i'll snatch on up but they are under powered with that little 3hp motor - at $230. i could afford to get a larger predator.