can you put a Comet 30 series spring in a 20 series driven to reverse it?

125ccCrazy

I have a 20 series driven and want to know if I put a 30 series spring in it which is wound the opposite way if I can run the 20 driven face out like a 30??

Last edited:
:doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah: My God the wheel is round do you want to reinvent it ? 20's and 30's don't mix LOL . I have bought two trikes from people who had the torque converter on backwards and could not figure out why it wouldn't run right. Steve

mybiz

Are you serous your saying they had one of the sheaves flipped around I'm just having a hard time picturing this but nothing is imposable I've seen some WTF's before:eek:ut:

george3

thats how you do it. the spring is just wound the opposite way. I am thinking the one 30 series I seen with the back wards spring was prob. off a 20 series. you finally figured it out. give it a try. If you have both Just look at them. good luck.

125ccCrazy

:doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah::doah: My God the wheel is round do you want to reinvent it ? 20's and 30's don't mix LOL . I have bought two trikes from people who had the torque converter on backwards and could not figure out why it wouldn't run right. Steve
whats the big issue, its just a question... The 20 series has to be mounted with the spring/hub inboard, I want to run it outboard like a 30...I'm not talking about flipping the sheeves around, the 20 and 30 have the springs wound in opposite directions and ramps that goes both ways, figured with a 30 spring the sheeve will rotate the opposite direction on the other side of the ramps with the clutch flipped so the spring hub is facing out... Some older drivers had ramps that were one direction but the newer ones have ramps that angle both ways....

If those trikes didnt have the springs swapped for ones that are wound the opposite direction then yeah it wont work right, thats obvious..:eek:ut: but I'm not talking about just flipping it around with the stock spring....

as far as re-inventing the wheel, thats called modifying

Just wanted to know if anyone has done this....

Last edited:
Never done it, but on one, the movable sheeves on the driver and driven are both on the same side. The other has the movable sheeves on opposite sides. I think the 20s are on the same side and 30s are opposite. I'm too lazy to go out and look to see which is which. That may present a problem, but try it and see what happens. Ya never know til you try.:thumbsup:

george3

Like I said I seen one already. but it would be for a cc engine on the 30 series. You know the engines with the pull start on the opposite side. since its a 30 series the flat sides have to line up. If you are using a standard like HP Briggs it wont work, because of the one side flat on the 30 series. now a 20 series can run on either type spring on the left side of the bike because its is a V not |/ type. just flip the driven 20 for the spring you use. 20 series works just as good as the 30. both run 3/4 belt. hope you got that, almost confused myself. 20 is more universal. If you guys quit buying mini bikes and start working on them you will find all kind of cool mods you can do to fit your needs. My opinion the best mods are the ones that can be put back to stock if needed with out alot of effort.

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Never done it, but on one, the movable sheeves on the driver and driven are both on the same side. The other has the movable sheeves on opposite sides. I think the 20s are on the same side and 30s are opposite. I'm too lazy to go out and look to see which is which. That may present a problem, but try it and see what happens. Ya never know til you try.:thumbsup:
Like I said I seen one already. but it would be for a cc engine on the 30 series. You know the engines with the pull start on the opposite side. since its a 30 series the flat sides have to line up. If you are using a standard like HP Briggs it wont work, because of the one side flat on the 30 series. now a 20 series can run on either type spring on the left side of the bike because its is a V not |/ type. just flip the driven 20 for the spring you use. 20 series works just as good as the 30. both run 3/4 belt. hope you got that, almost confused myself. 20 is more universal. If you guys quit buying mini bikes and start working on them you will find all kind of cool mods you can do to fit your needs. My opinion the best mods are the ones that can be put back to stock if needed with out alot of effort.
yep I'm not talking about swapping springs in a 30 series driven because its asemetrical but with a 20 being semetrical the angles are the same either direction.... What I'm looking at is using a 20 series driver and driven on a tav30 plate, with the 20 series driven having to be mounted with the spring inboard with the stock spring it won't work on the tav plate because it will stick out too far hence the question about using a 30 series spring so it can be flipped around..

george3

check the springs, and clutches. I am sure they are the same just wound the other way. I think they made the 20 with both springs. do you have both driven? match the springs. I never looked at diameter but I have seen the two different springs on the 20s so do it.