Oldminibikes?

I just went down stairs and asked my kid what he thought about old mini's verses new. He said the clone engines are smooth and the doodle bug is comfortable to ride.

Then I asked him about our old bikes & engines and his face lit up,,,, and he didn't Really have to say anything after that. :wink:

It kinda makes me upset to see people warring over what we all like to have fun with, (cant we all get along?)

Personally I hate clones, But if it is bringining new people into the hobby, weather its with a Db and a grand clone, or with a vintage bonanza with a flathead I really dont care what it is.

Youll never see me run a clone, ( I barely tolerate my Honda GX110 and MR50) Nor will you ever see me drive a foreign car, nor put a clone on my kincaide, or and vintage bike.

But if you pick up a bike, and want a new motor, and dont have alot of cash (yes i know used motors are cheaper...) than so be it, It could be getting new people involved and youngsters involved. If you need a temporary replacement for your beat up teke, or briggs and strap a clone on, than thats your business, I know people that can not set points, and rebuild there engine, do not have the money or room, If it keeps them involved, then I guess it happens

When your involved you'll open your eyes to what else is out there, and one day you may buy an Oldminibike,

Do I like clones? NO, Do i think they belong on Old minibikes, Absolutely not, but if it keeps interest it many people? why not allow them, After all arnt we all in this to have fun anyways?

Thats just my opinion of the entirety....

Last edited:
My wife said I should get DB. The local sporting goods store- yes, the one that just filed for bankruptcy -has 'em for $175.00 until April 11. I don't really want or need one, the Lil Indian suits me just fine. But what do you do when the Mrs. authorizes another bike? It's quite a problem!

Some good points guys. Im just not use to this sort of thing. On any other site im on they dont allow stuff like this. On the HAMB (an old car site) if you say "Rat Rod" you get 3 pages of bashing. You cant even talk about a car 65 or newer. On realoldspower.com if you say you want info on putting a SBC in your Cutlass people are ready to track you down and kill you! Here it just seems like alot of people just dont really care about Old Minibikes. Remember thats why this site was started. When i wanna learn about Old Hotrods i go to the HAMB, when i wanna lear about Oldsmobile stuff i go to Classic Olds or R.O.P. When i wanna learn about Oldminibikes i have to surf through pages of DB and clone talk. No doubt about it this is the best minibike site on the web, with some really great members. I just wish it was more about Oldminibikes, not just any minibike.

Josh

george3

well put josh but got to have room for the new as well. I know exactly what you mean. I dont have a db-30. but 170.00 new is cheap. I thought about it my self. even if I did buy one that engine would come off that same day. 5HP or better. and the clones 100.00 cheap too. but I have so many now, dont have room for a china bike. I like the post eariler, (vintage china bike) I can see it on ebay in 10 years or so.

george3

How come only bonanzas and tacos cant have a clone injuntom? just dont seem natural or what? What if you want a larger engine on your taco or bonanza? I am going through that problem now I have alot of engines, just cant deside what engine to run. my first choise is the h60 I have but its alot of extra weight. second a 6.5 power sport, third a honda gx240. Any better ideas out there?

Some good points guys. Im just not use to this sort of thing. On any other site im on they dont allow stuff like this. On the HAMB (an old car site) if you say "Rat Rod" you get 3 pages of bashing. You cant even talk about a car 65 or newer. On realoldspower.com if you say you want info on putting a SBC in your Cutlass people are ready to track you down and kill you! Here it just seems like alot of people just dont really care about Old Minibikes. Remember thats why this site was started. When i wanna learn about Old Hotrods i go to the HAMB, when i wanna lear about Oldsmobile stuff i go to Classic Olds or R.O.P. When i wanna learn about Oldminibikes i have to surf through pages of DB and clone talk. No doubt about it this is the best minibike site on the web, with some really great members. I just wish it was more about Oldminibikes, not just any minibike.

Josh
I was going to mention the HAMB, but didnt want to add to the sh:censure:storm anymore.
I am glad this forum in NO WAY resembles the HAMB.

Ratbike

I pick the forums I like and stay off the others( I believe thats why they are there ). This is awesome ! I love it that everyone is so passionate about mini bikes! At the end of the day they are still only mini's. Don't get me wrong, if something happend to one of my project minis I'd be pissed, but some would laugh at all the controversy...ABOVE ALL!! HAVE A BLAST GUYS!!:scooter:

Hent

Josh
Josh,

The main focus of this site is still vintage mini bikes. I think you're exaggerating on the clone stuff a bit. Yeah, we all know it's there - but it's in its own section. Stay clear of the clone/db forums, and you should be good. There's a few stragglers in the project logs section, but really, it's not that bad.

If I were limited to having 1 forum category like other messages boards, yeah, it would be pretty crappy to scroll through a bunch of stuff you have no interest in. But that's why we have different sections here.

We can all learn and get different ideas from each other, so why not?

Like me and I know others too,money & experience play a big role in choosing a minibike.I admit it,I could not put together a restored mini.But I can still enjoy riding.Also with the help of the cheap priced chinese stuff,it allows many more to own & ride minis that otherwise could not.

Some good points guys. Im just not use to this sort of thing. On any other site im on they dont allow stuff like this. On the HAMB (an old car site) if you say "Rat Rod" you get 3 pages of bashing...Josh
That's why I like this forum a lot. Vintage minis are the main emphasis, and that's great, but I also think it's great that the conversations can go in all sorts of directions and people generally don't get worked up about it. I'd hate to see that change.

The newer bikes are not my favorite, but I still like to see what people are doing with them. They are readily available and your not commiting blasphemy in anyone's eyes when you modify them. :weld: