Oldminibikes?

Josh,

The main focus of this site is still vintage mini bikes. I think you're exaggerating on the clone stuff a bit. Yeah, we all know it's there - but it's in its own section. Stay clear of the clone/db forums, and you should be good. There's a few stragglers in the project logs section, but really, it's not that bad.

If I were limited to having 1 forum category like other messages boards, yeah, it would be pretty crappy to scroll through a bunch of stuff you have no interest in. But that's why we have different sections here.

We can all learn and get different ideas from each other, so why not?
Hey Hent

Now that i have all this free time i come here at least a few times a day. It would take me to long to go through each section. I just go to "New Posts" Thats why i say every other post is clone, or db stuff. Alot of the time it is. Its just become the norm here when someone needs a motor or is having engine problems you get everyone posting there local clone prices, or if someone new comes on looking for a minibike you get links to pepboys and talk of DBs..

I will ride or drive anything with a motor and wheels :scooter: even a scooter. LOL But the reason i come here is my Love for Old minibikes. This is the bigges and best site for Old Minibikes. Why not try and keep it that way. I know people are all about cheap and easy. But whats cheaper or easyer then an Old Minibike? Old Minibikes are the easyest things to work on! Anyone could put one together. So cheap and easy is just an excuse for LAZY!

Even now with our economy, its more of a reason for us to promote buying American. And stop putting money in forgin companys pockets! JMHO

I did not make this post to start any fights. Im tired of fighting it. When i fist came here, like the name "oldminibikes.com" it was all about old minibikes. It even says it on the homepage "OldMiniBikes.com is a free resource for vintage mini bike enthusiasts" Now every other post is about new china stuff. I know alot of people dont care about america or americans, and dont care to support american products that keep americans working. See what our country is going through now. My whole point was this Vintage minibike site has just turned into a minibike site. Its no longer a place for old schoolers to go and talk old minibikes. I use to read every single post here. Now i just surf and find a title thats doesnt include the word DB, clone, or honda. I just miss the way it use to be. And i wanted to see where people stand. Thats the reason for this post.
"dont care about america or americans"??? Im confused. I thought minibiking was about riding. We've shut out pocket bikes (thank God) but dont shut out hard working "Americans" that can't afford a 400+ dollar engine and over priced parts. I would rather have a clone on my bike and be able to ride it with my sons, than to have an "american made" bike in pieces sitting in my basement because I cannot afford to get it running. It's unfortunate, but we can either accept the new stuff, or let the hobby die. New school folks to minibiking bring new school ideas, parts, engines and culture. I say, let it blend, but not overtake the roots of it all. There should be room for all. This is the best site out there because of the different ages, talents and bikes of its members.

"dont care about america or americans"??? Im confused. I thought minibiking was about riding. We've shut out pocket bikes (thank God) but dont shut out hard working "Americans" that can't afford a 400+ dollar engine and over priced parts. I would rather have a clone on my bike and be able to ride it with my sons, than to have an "american made" bike in pieces sitting in my basement because I cannot afford to get it running. It's unfortunate, but we can either accept the new stuff, or let the hobby die. New school folks to minibiking bring new school ideas, parts, engines and culture. I say, let it blend, but not overtake the roots of it all. There should be room for all. This is the best site out there because of the different ages, talents and bikes of its members.
#1!!! Sinner70

This isnt minibike.com this is Oldminibikes.com
Again so people will understand
this is NOT MINIBIKE.com this IS OLDMINIBIKES.COM
Now cheap and easy is an excuse for LAZY! for what you spend on a china made bike you can hop on craigslist and buy a running Old minibike. And if you dont like Oldminibikes then why come to a site called Oldminibikes? This site originally started as a site for Oldminibikes, now its about anything with 2 wheels and a motor. I just wish it was the way it use to be. Im sure there are plenty of other sites to talk DB, clones, and pocket bikes.

BTW the Hobby will never die!

you are way too hahahahaing hung up on the name of the site. if you don't like it reading about the new stuff, don't read those threads. it's not hard to do. i have almost no interest in the vintage bikes or motors besides the clones, but i'm not on here bitching about it. i mostly stick to the sub-forums that interest me.

if you don't like it, start your own forum and only allow people to talk about vintage stuff. that way you can delete any thread that isn't to your liking.:thumbdown:

delray

hent/josh it still great web go to. there is alot of good info and projects builds. great that hent has a place for the db and clone stuff. no other web site does that. but there still sometimes guys posting clone stuff in the reg section. most of them are also new guys that just get little excited about there first minibike. so sometimes we have to remind them to post it in the db/clone section in a nice way:doah::smile: i think if hent was to make two different web sites. one for vintage and the other for new,db/clone stuff they would not take off as well as this web site does. i think the two together can share good info and also can show some of the newer guys(clone guys) how the whole thing of minibikes started and even get them into buying older vintage stuff.:thumbsup:
:scooter:..........hent pm your address info so i can send you some money for my supporting member............thanks:thumbsup:
more the members, better hent can do to help keep the two in there own forum/threads:thumbsup:

i have almost no interest in the vintage bikes or motors besides the clones, but i'm not on here bitching about it. i mostly stick to the sub-forums that interest me.

OK now this is what im talking about. Why are you here? Why dont you start your own website?

hent/josh it still great web go to. there is alot of good info and projects builds. great that hent has a place for the db and clone stuff. no other web site does that. but there still sometimes guys posting clone stuff in the reg section. most of them are also new guys that just get little excited about there first minibike. so sometimes we have to remind them to post it in the db/clone section in a nice way:doah::smile: i think if hent was to make two different web sites. one for vintage and the other for new,db/clone stuff they would not take off as well as this web site does. i think the two together can share good info and also can show some of the newer guys(clone guys) how the whole thing of minibikes started and even get them into buying older vintage stuff.:thumbsup:
:scooter:..........hent pm your address info so i can send you some money for my supporting member............thanks:thumbsup:
more the members, better hent can do to help keep the two in there own forum/threads:thumbsup:
This is a great site! Brian you have been here as long as me. You know how it use to be. It was all about the oldminibikes. Then it just got worse and worse. Now its just about minibikes in general. Is it really about the minibikes now, or is it just MONEY?

Hent

Hey Hent

Now that i have all this free time i come here at least a few times a day. It would take me to long to go through each section. I just go to "New Posts" Thats why i say every other post is clone, or db stuff. Alot of the time it is. Its just become the norm here when someone needs a motor or is having engine problems you get everyone posting there local clone prices, or if someone new comes on looking for a minibike you get links to pepboys and talk of DBs..

I will ride or drive anything with a motor and wheels :scooter: even a scooter. LOL But the reason i come here is my Love for Old minibikes. This is the bigges and best site for Old Minibikes. Why not try and keep it that way. I know people are all about cheap and easy. But whats cheaper or easyer then an Old Minibike? Old Minibikes are the easyest things to work on! Anyone could put one together. So cheap and easy is just an excuse for LAZY!

Even now with our economy, its more of a reason for us to promote buying American. And stop putting money in forgin companys pockets! JMHO
Josh,

I don't use the "New Posts" feature, I just select the forums that I want to read. So, now I see your point on that.

I say to each his own I don't own a doodlebug and probably never will, but they're here and that's just the way it is. I may even own one someday if someone has one to give away, like the Heat I got for free.:thumbsup: I run it hard and abuse it, and when it blows, I'll put a flathead in it. When something else breaks, I'll further Americanize it. I don't even mind the hacked vintage ones, as long as there's history to go with the modifications. A lot of them were hacked back in the day. If I had bought a new one when I was a kid, I would have "personalized" it, just like I did my bicycles. Some were hacked to fit in whatever engine could be had for free or cheap, just to get the kids riding again, without any thought of what it might be worth some day. The hackers didn't care. They just wanted the kids to ride. And totally restored vintage bikes wouldn't have enough online following to support a website, so then comes the modified, or personalized ones, then the clones, then the Doodles. It's a natural progression. In 30 years,there will be someone on OLDBAJAMOTORSPORTSDOODLEBUGS.COM cussing someone for hacking Doodles, so it's all good. American is just better.
BTW, I've heard the Chinese are going to start cloning Kenny's seats.:thefinger:

I know people are going to buy them and ride them. Whatever. But my whole point is why here? This is the biggest site on the web for old minibikes. We shouldnt promote the new stuff so much. We should be promoting Oldminibikes, and preserving our past. Lead by example!

I am not a fan of clone engines,but I have 2 Bonanzas with clones and 2 Bonanzas with flatheads. I went through this type of discussion years ago when AMF bought Harley Davidson. AMF started putting Japan forks and brakes on the bikes. CHANGE WILL HAPPEN ! Harley Davidson still uses parts from japan and alot of aftermarket parts are made in Japan.
In any type of hobby there are pureists and not so pureists. Yes this is OLDMINIBIKES.COM but people need to go with the flow.
Just my thought on this subject.

I don't promote them, but can't bash them. A lot of people can't mechanic for sh** and that's the only way they'll ever own one, unless the spend a fortune having someone else doo the work. I kind of enjoy reading some of the Doodlebug/clone posts.:eek:ut:, especially when someone mentions removing the governor, and the next post says "BE sure to get a billet flywheel and rod" Billet schmillet. The valves will float on a stock, ungoverned engine before any other damage is done. Anyone who keeps winding til it's cutting out and sputtering from valve float, and keeps on flogging it doesn't need a minibike anyway. Not even a Doodlebug deserves that fate. One thing good about AMF buying Harley, is they kept the company alive long enough for the Americans to buy it back. But look at Harley now. A lot of the people who buy them now thought only trash rode them, til someone famous or "socially acceptable" bought one. Now they're suddenly the best thing since sliced bread, with twin cams and rubber motor mounts. The should have stopped with shovelheads or evos. Now they're almost Jap bikes. Some of the Jap bikes look more Harley than the Harleys.

Also, the clone seats will sell for $10 at PepBoys.:wink:

OK now this is what im talking about. Why are you here? Why dont you start your own website?
for the clone and DB stuff. i started out with a vintage bike (and still have 2 of them) but lost interest and will be getting rid of them soon.

my point is that you're just complaining. the majority of the DB and clone stuff stays where it should. like previously mentioned, it's mostly newer people that can't figure out how to post in the correct section.

why would i start my own site when i don't have a problem with this one?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I know what you mean. But out here there are mostly under power cheap doodle bugs in the valley. Some of the main old school minibike dealers or out here in California. They are very expensive, so most just resort to buying a frame from the local minibike shops.

But those clones are everywhere. I don't run them myself, but have modified to many to count.

especially when someone mentions removing the governor, and the next post says "BE sure to get a billet flywheel and rod" Billet schmillet.
i'd rather spend an extra $180 for that stuff and greatly reduce my chance of having either let go. it's cheap insurance IMO. chances are it won't happen, but why take that chance (and you get better performance)?

that's just my take on it and why i recommend them.

this would really be a long shot, but what happens if you tell someone to remove the governor, they blow the engine and get hurt and try to sue you? i doubt there's even a .1% chance of that happening, but who knows.:wink:

this would really be a long shot, but what happens if you tell someone to remove the governor, they blow the engine and get hurt and try to sue you? i doubt there's even a .1% chance of that happening, but who knows.:wink:[/QUOTE]

That's a whole 'nother rant. :repuke: The court system, for allowing that crap, just like the warnings on microwwave foods " Caution Product Will Be HOT!!!" Anyone that stupid probably can't read anyway :doah:

This will probably be my last post on this topic.

As delray noted about having two sites... I did do a test on moving the doodlebug stuff over to a different site (some of you may remember it). It's not going to happen anytime soon. OldMiniBikes is popular and will always be flooded with that stuff, so we can have a sub-section for the "new" bikes.

Since there aren't many "general minibike" sites, this is the closest thing for a doodlebug owner to goto.

Being fair, this site should've been called "oldminicycles.com" because when I got back into the hobby, that was what I picked up. I call it a minibike, and some people on here still correct me. I don't care. It's a minibike to me, and it's fun.

When the site started, it was all vintage mini bikes, errr mini cycles, and um mini harleys, and??

And if minibikes.com was available? Yeah, I'd have bought that instead. This is what I got. And fortunately, a domain name does not determine ALL content on a website.

Many forums have different topics, with varying relevance. I read plenty of other forums that have absolutely nothing to do with cooking, fishing or computers, but have sub-forums for them. When I go to read about my diesel truck, I select the years I'm interested in, and I don't click into the cooking forum.

Things change over time. It's not worth my time, or anyone elses to hound people for making posts about doodlebugs and clones or anything else we don't like. It gives the forum a bad vibe when you get 3 pages of bashing for asking a question. It makes people leave, and new members cautious of signing up and scared to ask a question. The easiest solution was to make a place for them.

Nobody complained (yet) about the more than two wheels section.

When people like a site, and find their way around it, and enjoy the people on it, they stick to it. There will ALWAYS be topics about things you don't like, or by people you don't like. In the usercp, there is an Ignore feature.

CLIFFSNOTES:

If you don't like something, don't read it. This site is fortunate enough to have a large group of members from all different walks of life, with different experiences and ideas.

The original idea behind this site still exists today, with some modifcations. Just like most of our bikes.