Seat painting

buckeye

Anyone have any luck painting seats?
I put some stuff on a seat that I need for my buildoff bike. The stuff stuck to the seat. Tried cleaning it and some of the coloring came off.:shrug: Now looks like crap and I am saving cash for a special trip to Pa. and don't want to buy a new seat.
So thinking of painting it. Any reviews on the process?
Thanks in advance fellows addicts.:laugh:

I've used Duplicolor vinyl paint on some door panels and car seats. It didn't work too bad and looked good. CLEAN surface,light coats, and dry time are important. I really don't know how long it lasts or how it wears though. I used it on cars that were "just passing through"

I've never used the Dupli Color yet. If you have a auto body supply store near you, try the SEM brands. Jim nailed it though. Light coats and clean... Clean... Clean :)

I would dye instead of paint my friend tryed the duplicolor viynl and fabric paint on his head liner and seats it work great on the headliner but all the color came of the seat on his clothes. the stuff seems to work on pieces that will not see alot of use

This tote gote seat came from the factory in 1972, Pink. It was promptly painted black. Although it hasn't seen much use, its not to bad for 40 years old.
I will try to find out what was used for paint.

I like Jim have used duplicolor fabric paint with success. I painted the top of my DB30 seat a while back with it and it worked good, like Jim said, light coats and take your time. :thumbsup:

There is a fabric dye called RIT that you can get at just about any grocery store ~ I think it's only a few bucks. The RC guys say if you put it in some hot water and submerge plastic into it you can change the color. They also said it's best to have black as a target color because it always works compared to going from say red to purple. The dye permeated the plastic so even if you scratch the item its still going to be the same color as the surface unlike paint that flakes off. Not sure if heating some of this stuff up and brushing it on a seat will work or not but it might be worth a shot.